In this article we will explain you regarding the checking of TDS of your Drinking water at your home but before starting that first we will explain you following:-
- TDS Stands for Total dissolved solids in per mg of water.
- Definitation of TDS Total dissolved solids (TDS) is the term used to describe the inorganic salts and small amounts of organic matter present in solution in water. The principal constituents are usually
- sodium, and
- potassium cations and
- chloride, sulfate, and nitrate anions
- Permissible TDS range for drinking as Per WHO
- Defination of WHO WHO Stands for World health Organisation It is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with international public health. It was established on 7 April 1948, and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- EFFECTS OF TDS The presence of dissolved solids in water may affect its taste (1).
- The palatability of drinking water has been rated by panels of tasters in relation to its TDS level as follows :-
- excellent, less than 300 mg/litre;
- good, between 300 and 600 mg/litre;
- fair, between 600 and 900 mg/litre;
- poor, between 900 and 1200 mg/litre; and
- unacceptable, greater than 1200 mg/litre (1).
- Water with extremely low concentrations of TDS ( For Example Below 50 mg/litre) may also be unacceptable because of its flat, insipid taste.
- NOW YOU ALL ARE THINKING THAT IF WE CAN DRINK WATER HAVING TDS UPTO 600MG/LITRE WHICH IS IN THE RANGE OF “GOOD” AS SHOWN IN ABOVE TABLE THEN WHY WE PEOPLES CONSUME REVERSE OSMOSIS OR IN SHORT RO WATER.
TO UNDERSTAND THIS QUESTION IN BETTER WAY WE MUST BE AWARE WITH FOLLOWING :-
- REVERSE OSMOSIS (RO)– Reverse osmosis (RO) is a water purification process that uses a partially permeable membrane to remove ions, unwanted molecules and larger particles from drinking Water which results in reduction of TDS upto 99% of Input water TDS.
This can be better understand with help of this example let suppose TAP water TDS Level is 700mg/litre then after purification we will get water having TDS upto 70 mg/litre.
But now a days in many parts of India we did not get Tap water upto TDS of 600 mg/litre because of this people uses RO.
However in many area in India we have TDS below 500 mg/litre but still people uses RO why??
Answer is simple because of human life style is completely changed
He is not physically fit as he was earlier time.
He eats More junk food.
He Doesn’t do much Physical Work.
And many other similar reasons are there because of that His body is not in position to digest TDS of drinking water upto 500ppm and thats he uses RO.
However he should not reduce the TDS of his drinking water below 80ppm which causes Reduction of all necessary minerals from his drinking water.
A Customer can self check its RO TDS with help of TDS meter Device. Just switch on TDS and immerse the TDS meter upto 2 inch in water and press the hold key to get result. Link to buy Meter is